Planning a Winter Wonderland themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 practical ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- Winter Wonderland themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- Winter Wonderland themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable Winter Wonderland wedding or ice themed wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Theme, venue and colors
Winter wonderland is a popular theme for weddings: it is beautiful, romantic, elegant and is often linked to fairytales.
Imagine pure white and silver tables, crystals, flakes, faux snow and frosted trees... magic!
It is, of course, more appropriate for a Winter wedding, but it can enchant yourself and your guests all year long!
Your Winter wonderland wedding can have different vibes:
- Whimsical with snowmen, reindeers, snow fairies...
- Literal with stunning winter landscapes
- Frozen with lots of snowflakes and blues
- Ice themed wedding
- Active with ice skating or other winter sports
This article does not cover Christmas themed weddings.
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- the obvious: crisp white and ice blue, with some silver
- but you can also go for a dark blue with white
- Silver is more traditional, but you can also make it work with white and gold. The decor would feel warmer.
- For a more natural look, you can opt for forest greens and white
- If you want to add an accent color, choose classic jewel tones: royal blue, burgundy, royal purple, emerald green, ruby red...
Here are a few color combination ideas
Special venue ideas
You can have a winter wonderland themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
However, you can consider venues that fit best with your theme:
- venues with large windows to see the snow outside (if during Winter), especially mountains
- venues with a giant staircase to create a frozen like decor
- venues with high ceilings
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Winter Wonderland themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the Winter Wondeland theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
Snowmen, deers, white owls
- The font -
Traditionally the font is curvy and romantic at least for the names
- The shape -
Keeping it classic with a rectangular card is elegant.
If you want to commit fully to the theme, you can create a snowflake shaped invitation.
You can also stick fake snow to the card
- Special Winter Wonderland theme related words -
Join us in a Winter wonderland
Let's have snow much fun
Love is in the cold air...
Love is in the air... and Winter too!
Feel the Wintery magic
Freeze the day!
Here are some inspiring examples.
Most have complete suites of Winter Wonderland themed wedding stationery.
Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
elegant - simple modern
First, let's start with a few invitations that don't go overboard with the winter theme.
Simple colors, elegant with snowflakes or the idea of snow.
More natural / snow and trees
Otherwise, you can choose a more natural Winter scene with trees and ground covered in snow.
snowflake / frozen
Snowflake is the most used decors on Winter wonderland wedding invitation. You can play with colors. Here are some examples:
Dark blue winter wonderland
For something different, more moody, consider dark blue base color for a night Winter wonderland.
Winter whimsical themed wedding
If the movie Frozen is your inspiration or if you like the whimsical or fairytale version of a Winter Wonderland, this can be fun too. Below are some example.
If the idea of the red rose appeals to you, combine this article about Winter Wonderland wedding and my article about Beauty and the Beast themed wedding ideas.
Final ideas, if you enjoy the fun of snow and snowmen, there are also a few options for you:
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options with your picture in the snow.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitations
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitations
- Rehearsal dinner invitations
Stickers for the enveloppes
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker, or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer, flower girl...
Here are some examples:
Winter Wonderland wedding decors
Winter Wonderland themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- Small trees on which you can add fake snow, fairy lights or snowflakes
- Spread sparkling crystals and / or snowflake confetti in the center of the table
- Have fun with snow globes and winter scenes
- add a tiny snowman on each table
- For a taller decor: choose tall vases and places crystal flowers inside
- or create a more literal winter wonderland on each table with small forest trees, fake snow, and wild animal sculptures
- white feathers
- red, blue or white rose inside an ice cube or inside a glass
- glass vase with silver and blue balls
- a white orchid
- or a more classic silver candelabras
- Candles (see next section)
Candles & holders
You can also set up candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with winter theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you in the snow and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
And if you don't want to risk of fire, but do want the ambiance, consider some flameless candles:
Table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins in accordance with you stationary, or of ice blue color
- Themed Name card holders
- Decorated table numbers or names
- Themed napkin rings
- Frosted glass
- Silver table runners
Decors for the rest of the rooms / venues
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of Winter Wonderland decors:
- paint branches white and glue faux snow and create a tree-lined corridor for the aisle
- Add fairy light garlands around the rooms
- Use icy blue tule to create the volume and colors of ice and snow - on table or chairs or walls or ceilings
- Attach icicle ornaments / snowflakes to the ceiling
- add a large crystal chandelier
- Play with the lighting with muted lights
- Play with mirrors
- Frost the windows with adhesive film - either basic frost or with romantic decors
Greet your guests with a themed welcome sign:
And consider adding a backdrops to a wall, that an also be a place for cool pictures of the guest:
No specific suggestions in terms of flowers.
All white bouquets can be stunning (tulips, roses, orchids)
You can add crystals to them and greenery for some contrast, for example, the delicacy of eucalyptus or pine boughs.
Or contrast with all the white around with brown and burgundy flower arrangements.
Ceremony and clothes
Officiant & program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun with the officiant and the ceremony program.
Here are some ideas:
- Royal faux fur cape for the officiant
- Officiant on a fake ice cube
- Create wedding programs in the same theme as your stationery
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme, but about you. Wear what makes you happy.
- All-in version: ballgown skirts with luxe draping, layers on layers of lace, brocades, satin, and velvet
- Or simple, crisp and elegant: clean white dress that looks like untouched snow, well-placed lace
- Crystal details on the wedding dress
Simple, elegant ice blue or navy dresses.
Long dresses feel more in line with the theme.
Groom and groomsmen
Crisp white tuxedos with ice blue shirt
Or light blue tuxedos
You can keep the clothes simple so that everyone feels comfortable and beautiful, but go a little wilder with accessories.
For the women, consider:
- long satin white gloves,
- tiara or sparkling hair accessories
- faux-fur wrap or cape
- Snowflake brooch or jewels
- crystal accessories
For the men, consider:
- icicle boutonniere,
- socks with snowflakes or snowmen, hidden but fun!
- tie clip with snowflake or snowman.
- All white bouquets, maybe even very simple with just one type of flowers
- A cascade bouquet, looking like a snowdrift
- Crystal bouquets
- or a contrasting bouquet with burgundy, navy blue or greenery
No special suggestions for the ring itself.
But for the ring bearer to carry the rings, you can have fun:
Winter Wonderland themed vows ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some xx related words or sentences to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- I want to make snow angels with you every year of my life
- We are going to have snow much fun together
- I will snuggle with you by the fire. I will walk with you through the snowstorms.
- “A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.” Markus Zusak
- See quotes and puns to inspire you
Fun Winter Wonderland wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- Frozen like statues
- In the snow
- With snow falling from a tree
- Making a snowman
- Ice skating
- In front of the backgrounds listed in the decor section
Winter Wonderland wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
You can consider:
- Horse carriage
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for winter themed seating charts:
- name the tables after famous winter locations
- name the tables after crystal cuts
- or simply add themed decorations to your seating chart:
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and Winter Wonderland cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes but with:
- a few winter related decors such as snowflake, snowman, white trees..
- a fun cake toppers with sparkling bride and groom
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo in the snow
- edible snowflakes,
- sparkling pearls,
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming.
The traditional shape of a wedding cake works well with this theme but you can also create a frozen castle looking cake or a collection of icicle cake.
Food / Menu
No specific suggestions in terms of food for the meal.
But you can add:
- hot chocolate bar
- mulled wine bar
The menu can be printed on beautiful themed stationery:
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
- guests can write on snowflake-shaped cards and attach them on a tree or a white branch
Activities - Entertainment - Music
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around winter
- Themed photo booth with wintery props (skis, snowshoes, fun hats...) and the backdrop I listed earlier
- Henna station to get temporary snowflake tattoos
- Find the snowflake bingo - where each box on the card includes a type of snowflakes they can find in the decors (with a hole in the center, with a red dot on it...)
- Get one or several boards (chalk or white) to create winter related word search games
- Get bliss advice from guests - leave a card at their seating place for them to write pieces of advice
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Or you can ask for a few gifts specific to your passion / theme:
- Winter trip
Favors for Ice / Winter wedding theme
Ice / Winter themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your themed designs or pictures.
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- Snowshoe hike
- Igloo building class
- Activity around crystals
- Creating snowglobes or winter ornaments
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
You could consider:
- Iceland in Winter or all year long
- Alaska in Winter
- Greenland in Summer
- New Zealand
- Antartica cruise