Planning a sunflower themed wedding?
Fantastic! I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 practical ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- sunflower themed wedding invitations (elegant, rustic or modern),
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- sunflower themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable sunflower wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Venue and colors
Sunflowers are bright and "happy flower". No wonder, they are a favorite for weddings, especially for late Summer and falls.
You can enjoy it with differen style:
- Rustic sunflower themed wedding
- Sunflower and royal blue themed wedding
- Sunflower and roses
Special venue ideas
You can have a sunflower themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
The sunflower's native environment are wide open spaces, dry, such as prairielands, plains and meadows.
You can consider venues that fit best with your theme, such as:
- a farm or a barn, if you are choosing the rustic theme
- a sunflower farm would be especially on point...
- outdoor venues
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
The sunflowers colors vary from bright yellow, to pale orange, cream with rust, burgundy, and brown.
- sunflower colors with burgundy and white
- sunflower colors with navy blue and white
- sunflower colors with just greenery
- sunflower colors with eucalyptus (grey green)
- gold accent can work well
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Sunflower themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the sunflower theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
Drawings of sunflowers, of course, and of leaves or prairielands.
If you choose rustic, you can have mason jars and wood-style background.
If you are looking for modern, opt for bigger size sunflower without any other embellishments.
- The font -
All kinds of fonts can work with the sunflowers. However, it is already very imposing, so try to stay simple and not overwhelmed the stationery.
- The shape -
No specific idea for the shape of the invitation.
Creating a sunflower shaped invitation would probably be extreme. But if you choose that, I recommend staying with white and one color on the content.
- Special sunflower theme related words -
Come enjoy the sunlight with us
Here are some inspiring examples.
Most have complete suites of sunflower themed wedding stationery.
Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Classic and Elegant sunflower themed wedding
Rustic sunflower themed wedding
royal blue and Rustic sunflower themed wedding
MODERN sunflower themed wedding
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options with your picture surrounded by sunflowers.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitation
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitation
- Rehearsal dinner invitation
Other fun elements
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples with various styles: circle or heart-shaped, address labels, wax seals...
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer...
Here are some examples:
Sunflower wedding decors
Sunflower themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
Sunflowers will be at the heart of your centerpieces of course.
You can use fresh sunflowers or artificial ones.
- Flower stand with greenery and long step sunflowers
- Smaller vase with water and floating sunflower heads
- For a rustic touch, use mason jars, vintage pot or kettles for your flower arrangement.
- For a boho style, use mismatched vases with just a few sunflowers
- For a low center price, create a basis with greenery such as Eucalyptus branches and places sunflower heads here and there
- Candles (see next section)
Candles & holders
You can also add candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with sunflower theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you inside a sunflower field, and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
And if you don't want to risk of fire, but do want the ambiance, consider some flameless candles:
Other table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins and napkin rings,
- Name card holders
- Table numbers or names
- Wine bottle labels
- Table runners, consider natural fabrics
Choose all you table decor accessories and once you are decided remove one.
Other decor elements
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of sunflowers wedding decors such as:
- a beautiful welcome sign
- if you go rustic, you can add other elements of a farm
- for a modern version, keeping the white of the tent simple will be perfect
And consider adding a backdrop to a wall, that an also be a place for cool pictures of the guest:
Well sunflowers of course.
To them you can add:
- a lot of greenery especially eucalyptus
- dried grass
- roses - white or another color if it is your theme
Some people suggest Gerbera daisies but I disagree. I think you need a complementary flower that has a very different style and a more discreet one. Otherwise, they overpower each other". The sunflowers must stand out.
For a rustic sunflower themed wedding, fairylights in a barn will be great.
Avoid chandeliers, they will try competing with the sunflower style.
I think discreet white standing halogen lamp sending lights to towards the top is adaptedto the the mood and the theme of the wedding. It is all about the light and not seeing the device producing it.
Ceremony and clothes
Officiant & program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun with the officiant and the ceremony program.
Here are some ideas:
- Have the officiant dressed in bright yellow
- Create wedding program in the same theme as your stationery
- If it takes plan on a hot summer day, why not print you wedding programs on hand fans!
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme, but about you. Wear what makes you happy!
All kind of dresses can work with the sunflower theme.
However a long dress that has a large circonference at the bottom will remind more of the sunflower shape.
White will be perfect.
Keep it simple, with a one color dress. No sunflower print!
Depending on your theme you can choose:
- brown like the center of the sunflower
- navy blue or burgundy or the accent color of your theme
- eucalyptus green if you choose stronger color accents in the accessories
- Vibrant tropical green
Groom and Groomsmen
An elegant suit or just a pant and waistcoat without the jacket.
Again depending on your theme:
- navy or burgundy
- natural color
- pleaded shirts for the groomsmen (for a rustic theme)
- and maybe yellow ties
You can keep the clothes simple so that everyone feels comfortable and beautiful, but go a little wilder with accessories.
For the women, consider:
- sunflower hair accessory with miniature faux sunflowers,
- sunflower jewelry,
- cowboy boots (for rustic style),
For the men, consider:
- Sunflower boutonniere of cours
- Sunflower socks for a nod to the theme that is not too visible.
- Sunflower tie clip
The bouquet will have sunflowers, of course.
You can combine with:
- cascading greenery with eucalyptus
- white roses
- blue thistle
In my opinion, the less complicated the bouquet, the more elegant (not too many styles of flowers).
And for a rusting wedding, you can consider a wild flower style bouquet, that looks like you've just been picking them up!
No special suggestions for the ring itself.
But for the ring bearer to carry the rings, you can have fun:
Sunflower themed vows - fun ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some sunflower related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- You are my sunshine. Like a sunflower, I want to follow your light everywhere.
- I want to be with you through the bright shiny day and look for the rays of light and hope with you during the raining days.
- Together, we can stand tall and face the sun
- “Her smile put the sunflower to shame.” – Jerry Spinelli
- “She is a sunflower! She brings hope to people.” – Avijeet Das
- I love that you “Look at the sunny side of everything.”– Christian D. Larsen
- or get inspired by these sunflower quotes
Fun sunflower wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- looking at the sun like sunflower
- in a sunflower field
- with the couple in the middle and the bridal party lying on the grass around them like sunflower petals
Sunflower wedding ideas for the party
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for sunflower themed seating charts:
- decorate the seating chart with sunflowers
- name the tables with the word for sunflowers in various languages: e.g. Tournesol (i French), Sonnenblume (in German), Girasole (in Italian), Girasol (in Spanish), Auringonkukka (in Finnish)...
- each round table in the shape of a sunflower on the chart
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and sunflower cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes but with:
- Big sunflower heads
- Small sunflower sticks
- A fun cake toppers with bride and groom!
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or sunflower themed designs
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming:
- in the shape of a sunflower
- with a round cake for the center and cupcakes to create the petals
- with sunflower edible decorations
Food / Menu
No specific suggestions in terms of food.
The menu can be printed on beautiful themed stationery:
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
- He was just following her like a sunflower follows the sun
- “You are touching so many people’s lives. You are a Sunflower.” ― Avijeet Das
- “In a crowd of roses, choose to be a sunflower. Thornless. Unwithering. Abundant in seeds.” – JaTawny M. Chatmon
- “If I were a flower… I would be a sunflower. To always follow the sun, turn my back to darkness, stand proud, tall and straight even with my head full of seeds.” – Pam Stewart
- or get inspired by these sunflower quotes
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
- a guest book decorated like your stationery
- sunflower sticky notes - guests write their message on them and stick them or a poster creating a field of sunflower messages that you can then frame and display in your house.
- sunflower cut paper - the guests write on them and then drop them into a glass vase
Activities - Entertainment - Music
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- Themed photo booth with sunflowers and the backdrop I listed earlier
- Henne station to get temporary sunflower tattoos
- Get a giant board and create sunflower related word search games
- Find the sunflower bingo - where each box on the card includes a type of butterfly they can find on the decors (with a blue center, with a red dot on it under a petal, that is next to a xx...)
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Favors for sunflower wedding theme
Sunflower themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your xx designs or pictures.
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- a tea party at a sunflower farm
- night in cowboy bar
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
- Consider following the sun! Head somewhere warm and enjoy the rays of sunlight LOL.
- Or go to a sunflower festival such as the one in Ligao, Philippines
- visit the largest sunflower field in the world in Hokkaido, Japan