Planning a succulent themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 practical ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- succulent themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- succulent and cactus themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable cactus themed wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Theme, venue and colors
The Succulent wedding theme
Succulents are fantastic for decor and ambiance!
They are original, and they offer lots of texture, shapes and colors.
Plus, they are evergreen and low maintenance, so useful whatever the month of your wedding!
It is very easy to carry out the theme through your wedding with elegant, colorful or rustic versions.
If you are looking for a wider theme, they are also often part of a desert themed wedding (see article) or tropical themed wedding (see article - to be published).
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- shades of green and blue-greens
- Some succulents also have reddish or purplish colors
- It easily combines with gold, silver and copper for your accent
- And it easily combines with a colorful flower if you want to add a strong accent color.
Overall, you can do whatever you want from a white and green base.
Special venue ideas
You can have a succulent themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
However, you can consider venues that fit best with your theme, such as:
- a succulent greenhouse
- and outdoor venue in the desert
- a succulent garden, maybe in a botanical garden
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Succulent themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the xx theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
All shapes of succulent - with or without flowers
With pot or without
Mason jar for a rustic feel
- The font -
All fonts can work: straight like a cactus or tortuous like many of thel
- The shape -
The succulent already bring a lot to the stationery. You don't need to go overboard with the shape.
- Special succulent theme related words -
This day would succ without you
Here are some inspiring examples.
Most have complete suites of cactus / succulent themed wedding stationery.
Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Elegant succulent wedding invitation
Let's start with the most classic options. Below are some example with simple color palette: a single succulent or arrangements of them.
Cactus themed wedding invitations
In this section, we focus on the taller examples of cacti, which are very photogenic and are great to create simple yet representative invitations.
If you are more into the home decor version of succulents, this 2 invitations included potted succulent plants.
Boho styled weddings are often associated with cacti and succulents.
Relaxed and low maintenance, with earthy tones.
Cactus and DeseRt Wedding invitations
Of course, you can also go wider, and consider cacti in the desert. Below are 2 examples.
If you think you would prefer the wider desert themed for your wedding, check out this other article.
More orginal invitations
If you are looking for something more colorful or more original, check out these:
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options with your picture surrounded by succulents or in a cactus forest.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitations
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitations
- Rehearsal dinner invitations
Stickers for the envelopes
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer, flower girl...
Here are some examples:
Succulent wedding decors
Succulent themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- Arrangements of succulents, of course, this is the most obvious
- With simple pots, you can make the colors of the succulent the highlight or you can choose more colorful planters
- To add pops of colors you can add colored glass vases
- For something more original pick a cactus shaped vase or a cactus shaped candle holder
- Terrarium can add structure while being more original than simple pots
- Candles (see next section)
Candles & holders
You can also set up candles to add to the atmosphere.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with cactus theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you surrounded by succulents, and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
And if you don't want to risk of fire, but do want the ambiance, consider some flameless candles:
Table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins in accordance with your stationary, or green or accent colors
- Themed name card holders
- Themed Table numbers or names
- Table runners with natural fabric and colors to highlights the variations of greens
- Fun napkin ring on theme
If you keep your plates and glass simple you can have fun with the napkins!
And if your centerpiece decor remains simple, you can opt for a themed table number sign:
Decors for the rest of the rooms / venues
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of succulent decors such as:
Greet your guests with a themed welcome sign:
And consider adding a backdrop to a wall that can also be a place for cool pictures of the guest:
Well, most arrangements will be full of succulents.
You can do a lot with their shapes and colors.
The best succulents for flower arrangements are:
- Echeveria - classic round
- Burro’s Tail
- String of Pearls
- Haworthia - more pointy and dark
If you really want to add flowers, the following match well with succulents:
Ceremony and clothes
Officiant & program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun with the officiant and the ceremony program.
You can create wedding programs in the same theme as your stationery.
And, if it takes place on a hot summer day, why not print your wedding programs on hand-fans!
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme, but about you. Wear what makes you happy!
Succulents are all about texture and slight variations in colors.
You can play with layering but keeping the design simple and elegant.
I think a decorated top (lace or embroidery) with a simpler flowing bottom, would work better than the opposite.
Beautiful chiffon light or dark green dresses would work well.
You can also find a green blue.
If you have an accent color, you can also choose that one.
Groom and groomsmen
Black does not really have a place in this wedding.
You can go for
- a dark blue suit or a green that goes well with some of the green blue succulents
- a brown suit to represent earth
- or you can break from dark and go towards a terracotta suit, or another earth tone.
You can keep the clothes simple so that everyone feels comfortable and beautiful, but go a little wilder with accessories.
For the women, consider:
- Succulent hair pieces
- A flower crown made of succulents or eucalyptus (which is lighter but goes well with succulents).
- Cactus themed jewelry
- A veil or not - both can fit the theme
For the men, consider:
- succulent / eucalyptus boutonniere
- fun themed socks - hidden but there!
- themed tie clips or role tie clips
Succulent are great in all wedding bouquets, even if your theme is not succulent.
You can have only succulents with some of them cascading if you want.
Or you can combine with flowers:
No special suggestions for the ring itself.
But for the ring bearer to carry the rings, you can have fun:
Succulent themed vows ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some xx related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- You are strong. You are a succulent in a world of delicate flowers.
- With the resilience of a cactus, I will stand by your side through draught and storms
- “If you want to be happy for a lifetime, grow succulents.” – Proverb
- “Life would succ without you.”
- See quotes to inspire you
Fun succulent wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- Standing with arms like cacti
- Doing some gardening of succulents
- In front of a wall of succulents
- In front of the backgrounds listed in the decor section
Cactus wedding ideas for the party
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for xx themed seating charts:
- name the tables after specific types of succulents
- name the tables after places which are famous for their succulents
- or simply add themed decorations to your seating chart:
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and Cactus cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes but with:
- a few succulent related decors such as artificial plants..
- a fun cake toppers with bride and groom and cacti!
- or add edible succulent decors to a naked layered cake.
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo surrounded by succulents
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming:
- In the shape of a succulent or cactus
- with lots of cupcakes decorated like succulents
Food / Menu
No specific suggestions in terms of food.
The menu can be printed on beautiful themed stationery:
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
- Well, this day did not succ
- You're plant-tastic!
- I wasn't too sure about the succulent theme, but honestly, they really grew on me!
- Don't worry, he will never desert you!
- At first I thought "Don't prick that one!"
- Or get inspired by this article with succulent jokes and puns or this one with quotes and sayings
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
- guests can write on themed guest books
- guests can write on cactus sticky notes and placed them on a board creating a cactus forest
- guests can write on cactus themed advice cards
- guest can write on kraft card and hang them in a display with cactus paper clips
Activities - Entertainment - Music
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around succulents
- Themed photo booth with succulent props and the backdrop I listed earlier
- Henna station to get temporary cactus tattoos
- Find the succulent bingo - where each box on the card includes a type of succulent they can find in the decors (with a broken x, with a red dot on it...)
- Get one or several boards (chalk or white) to create succulent related word search games
- Get bliss advice from guests - leave a card at their seating place for them to write pieces of advice
- Station to learn about succulents in the wild
- Station to learn how to create a succulent garden
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Favors for Succulent wedding theme
Succulent themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your themed designs or pictures.
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- a Mexican fiesta
- a desert retreat
- a gardening course
- a spa outing around Aloe Vera
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
You could consider:
- Lanzarote, Canary islands
- Joshua Tree National Park, US
- Saguaro National Park, US
- Sonora Desert, US