Planning a cowboy themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 practical ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- cowboy themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- cowboy themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable cowboy wedding / country wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Theme, venue and colors
The outdoor, country music, horses... a cowboy themed wedding can be full of charm and fun! This is the epitome of the rustic wedding themes.
Sub-themes or related themes include:
- sunflowers - check out my article about a sunflower themed wedding
- the Old Wild west
Special venue ideas
You can have a cowboy themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
However, you can consider venues that fit best with your theme, such as:
- an old barn
- a ranch
- a farm
- a rodeo arena
- rustic buildings
- or fully outdoor, near a stream for example
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- a base of earthy tones - brown (wood or leather brown), natural color, hazelnut, beige, cream, and taupe
- and a pop of classic color : dusty pink, blueberry, rust, Boysenberry, terracotta, amber, eucalyptus or sage
- or accents of brighter colors: bright orange, turquoise or a blush pink
- but almost all colors can work
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Cowboy themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the cowboy theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
Cowboy or Cowgirl boots and hats
Horses and horseshoes
Barn and hay bale
- The font -
For the fonts, it depends on your specific theme.
If it is the old wild west, there are some specific fonts from the wanted poster that work well.
Otherwise, straight letters with just a little of handwritten words would be appropriate
- The shape -
No specific shape but they could be on kraft paper
- Special cowboy theme related words -
Wanted... guests to witness our wedding
Shine your best boots
Dust off that hat
Here are some inspiring examples.
Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
wood and boots
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options with your picture in cowboy outfits.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitations
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitations
- Rehearsal dinner invitations
Stickers for the enveloppes
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer, flower girl...
Here are some examples:
Cowboy wedding decors
Cowboy themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
It is all about texture.
- use a lot of foliage and greenery
- add wildflowers pick around the location
- add pieces of wood
- for vases: milk can, cowboy boots, mason jars, terracotta pots
- old styled lanterns
- horses confetti to spread on the table
- old horseshoes - simply placed or as sculptures
- Candles (see next section) - consider wooden or iron candle holders (or mason jars)
Candles & holders
You can also add candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with cowboy theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you dressed as cowboy(s) and cowgirl(s), and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
And if you don't want to risk of fire, but do want the ambiance, consider some flameless candles:
Table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard. It is all about texture.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins in accordance with you stationary, or in earthy tone or use bandanas
- Simple string of leather as a napkin ring / tie
- Name card holders with little boots or hats
- Table numbers or names in your stationery theme
- Table runners in natural fabric (e.g. jute)
- Whisky bottles for water
- Pieces of wood for platters or name card holders
Decors for the rest of the rooms / venues
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
Cowboy/ rustic is very laid-back so you can really have fun and let your creativitiy speak with vintage pieces
All around the events, you can include small touches of cowboy decors such as:
- mix and match of chairs
- wooden altar
- hay bales
- candlelit jars from the ceiling or branches
- old wooden wheels
- wooden crates
Greet your guests with a themed welcome sign:
A sign in accordance with your stationery, or a ranch-style welcome sign.
Or you can use a chalk board.
And consider adding a backdrops to a wall, that an also be a place for cool pictures of the guest:
You should go for as natural and organic as possible. Don't look for perfection.
Here are some ideas:
- for the aisle, make wild flower bouquets and place them inside boots.
- textured grasses
- hydrangeas, baby’s breath, daisies, sunflowers...
- succulents and cacti
Ceremony and clothes
Officiant & program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun with the officiant and the ceremony program.
Here are some ideas:
- Full cowboy attire for the officiant
- Old Wild West attire for the officiant
- Create wedding programs in the same theme as your stationery
- If it takes place on a hot summer day, why not print you wedding programs on hand-fans!
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme, but about you. Wear what makes you happy!
- vintage looking dress wit off-white or cream lace
- romantic gowns with a flowing skirt
- Knee-length dress to show off the boots
For your bridesmaids find dresses in your accent color.
They can be a mismatch of style with a slight color difference.
Knee-lengths dress will work well with boots.
Consider playing with texture: tulle, chiffon, lace, denim...
Groom and groomsmen
For the men, you can go with:
- standard tweed, linen or cotton, depending on the season
- or semi-formal coat with jeans like they are working the farm
You can keep the clothes simple so that everyone feels comfortable and beautiful, but go a little wilder with accessories.
For the women, consider:
- boots - there is a wide variety of boot style and colors nowadays. And you can even order custom ones
- hat - there are white hats with or without veils
- nature looking hair pieces
- sunflower headband for a more outdoorsy feel
For the men, consider:
- hat - brown, navy, black
- boutonniere with wild flower
- cowboy themed socks - discreet and fun
- bolo tie
- a rustic style bouquet with wildflowers and lots of greenery
- strapping the bouquet with a piece of leather
- grass bouqet
No special suggestions for the ring itself.
But for the ring bearer to carry the rings, you can have fun:
Cowboy themed vows ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some cowboy related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
Fun cowboy wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- with a lasso
- on horses
- showing off boots
- hiding behind the hat
- dancing country
- In front of the backgrounds listed in the decor section
Cowboy wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
You can consider:
- horse carriage
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for cowboy themed seating charts:
- name the table after horse species
- name the tables after famous cowboys or Wild West figures
- make it look like a map
- attach cards with table number and names around an old wheel
- or simply add themed decorations to your seating chart
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and cowboy cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes (naked cakes already have a rustic look) but with:
- a few cowboy related decors such as horses, boots, hats..
- a fun cake toppers with bride and groom as cowboy and cowgirl!
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or rustic themed designs
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming:
- in the shape of a cowboy boot or hat
- in the shape of a saguaro cactus
- with edible detailed decors such as cacti
- use a wood cake stand
Food / Menu
Whatever makes you happy...
- barbecue and farm to table veggies
- corn on the cob
- wood cooking
- whiskey and cigar
- popcorn bar
The menu can be printed on beautiful themed stationery:
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
- guests can write on themed guest books or on leather guest books
- guests can write on horseshoe cut outs and hang them on a rope
- guests can write on cards and drop them in a bottle
Activities - Entertainment - Music
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around cowboy life
- Themed photo booth with cowboy props (lasso, hats...) and the backdrop I listed earlier
- Henna station to get temporary tattoos
- Find the boot / hat bingo - where each box on the card includes a type of boot / hat they can find in the decors (with a broken heel, with a red dot on it...)
- Get one or several boards (chalk or white) to create cowboy related word search games
- Get bliss advice from guests - leave a card at their seating place for them to write pieces of advice
- Horsehoe around the bottle throwing game
- Lasso lesson station
- Country dancing class
- Outdoor fire pit with marshmallows
And of course lots of country music!
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Or you can ask for a few gifts specific to your passion / theme:
- money towards a ranch
Favors for cowboy wedding theme
Cowboy themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your themed designs or pictures.
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- Horse riding experience
- Old far west town experience in costume
- Whiskey tasting
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
You could consider:
- on a ranch
- in a far west themed park
Check out other period /style wedding themes: