Planning a moon themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 practical ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- moon themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- moon themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable moon wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Theme, venue and colors
A moon themed wedding can be implemented with various approaches:
- the moon and crescent phases
- about astronomy with stars, planet, galaxies
- inside an overall celestial themed wedding, starry night sky
- Love you to the Moon (and back)
- Fly me to the Moon
- Blue moon
- Zodiac signs
Special venue ideas
You can have a moon themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
However, you can consider venues that fit best with your theme, such as:
- Night time outdoors
- During a moon rise at the beach
- Planetarium or observatory
- Desert area looking like the moon surface
- Or any indoor venue that is well decorated - maybe with an area that has glass ceilings
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- dark blue (e.g. indigo) to Black with silver accent
- dark blue to Black with gold accent (when the sun hits the moon)
- shades of grey
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Moon themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the moon theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
The moon, of course - full or just crescents
Moon crescent shaped flowers
your zodiac signs and birth charts
- The font -
Many fonts can work well.
But a font very round and simple will look as elegant as the moon
- The shape -
It can be round like the moon and a classic rectangle
- Special moon theme related words -
Join us to the moon
We will be over the moon if you could join us
Written in the stars
Here are some inspiring examples.
Most have complete suites of moon themed wedding stationery.
Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
With these invitations, you really focus on the moon itself, its beauty and its evolution.
Starry night / celestial Theme - including moon
The following are the most common, they combine with a celestial theme for the wedding. It is not only about the moon, but with stars too.
Mystical sun & moon theme
The moon also has a long mystical history. Check out these more intriguing invitations.
And here are 2 more invitations with some originality in the design or with a flower combination.
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options with your picture under the moon.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitations
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitations
- Rehearsal dinner invitations
Stickers for the enveloppes
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer, flower girl...
Moon wedding decors
Moon themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- fairy lights in glass recipients
- a ring with flowers attached to look like a crescent (see example)
- moon and star confetti to spread on the table
- string lights with little moons to stretch throughout the table
- a moon looking lamp
- a moon structure that you can decorate
- candles (see next section)
Candles & holders
You can also add candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with moon theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you with the moon, and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
And if you don't want to risk of fire, but do want the ambiance, consider some flameless candles:
Other table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins with your stationery theme
- Star-shaped name card holders
- Table numbers or names on personalize stationery
- Silver table runners
Other decor elements
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of moon decors such as:
- ceremony arch where only one side is decorated with flowers or balloons like a moon crescent
- lamps (it is all about the lighting)
- garlands to create a starry sky inside
Greet your guests with a themed welcome sign:
And consider adding a backdrops to a wall, that an also be a place for cool pictures of the guest:
You can choose flowers than bloom at night:
- Night blooming primrose
- Night blooming jasmine
- Four O-clocks
- ... learn more
Ceremony and clothes
Officiant & program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun with the officiant and the ceremony program.
Here are some ideas:
- Time the ceremony with the rise of the moon
- Create wedding program in the same theme as your stationery
- If it takes plan on a hot summer day, why not print you wedding programs on hand fans!
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme, but about you. Wear what makes you happy!
Almost everything can work with the moon. It is so simple that nothing will clash with it.
- Colors: white, grey and dark blue
- With an upper layer with stars of moon
- A ply with sheerness would also work well, as we don't always see the entire shape of the moon
Hues of blues are the most obvious and beautiful.
The dress can also be a little glittery for the sparkle of the sky.
Groom and Groomsmen
Grey suits with accent of dark blue will be perfect.
But you can also do dark blue suit with a touch of silver or grey!
You can keep the clothes simple so that everyone feels comfortable and beautiful, but go a little wilder with accessories.
For the women, consider:
- Specific moon hair accessories to mix with the hair-do
- Simple jewelry with moon crescent
- Cape with stars
For the men, consider:
- Moon related tie clips
- A hidden but fun detail with moon socks
Lots of greenery can be very elegant to avoid overpowering the dress.
Of you can go with simple white flowers.
You can also choose some dark blue painted flowers or pick naturally blue flowers such as Lily of the Nile (see some suggestions here).
No special suggestions for the ring itself.
But for the ring bearer to carry the rings, you can have fun with moon themed boxes:
Moon themed vows ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some xx related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- I want to take you to the moon
- When you said yes, I was over the moon
- Like the moon, our relationship might sometime look like it's waning but it will always remain whole through the ups and downs
- The moonlight shines as bright as my love for you (although be careful with that ones, since the light is just a reflection from the sunlight...)
- get inspiration from quotes about the moon
Fun Moon wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- sitting inside a giant moon crescent
- catching a moon and offering it to your partner
- the wedding party laying on the floor creating a moon crescent
- in front of the backgrounds listed in the decor section
Moon wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
You can consider:
- Add stars and moon sticker to the car
- Decorate the car as a rocket
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for moon themed seating charts:
- name the table after different types of moons (full moon, blue moon, new moon, moon crescent, last quarter, ice moon...)
- name the table after zodiac signs or constellations
- or simply add themed decorations to your seating chart:
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and moon cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes but with:
- a few moon related decors such as starts, moon crescents..
- a fun cake toppers with bride and groom and a moon!
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names and moon themed designs
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming:
- in the shape of a full moon
- in the shape of a crescent
- cupcakes arranged in the shape of a crescent
- with glitter
Food / Menu
No specific suggestions in terms of food.
The menu can be printed on beautiful themed stationery:
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
For example, everyone could sign a moon crescent and attach it to a cord!
Activities - Entertainment - Music
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around the moon
- Themed photo booth with moon balls and the backdrop I listed earlier
- Henna station to get temporary moon or star tattoos
- Find the moon bingo - where each box on the card includes a type of moon they can find in the decors (with a broken in half, with a red dot on it...)
- Get one or several boards (chalk or white) to create moon related word search games
- Get bliss advice from guests - leave a card at their seating place for them to write pieces of advice
- Set up telescopes
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Favors for moon wedding theme
Moon themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your moon designs or pictures.
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- moon beach party
- moon photography night
- over the moon themed party
- glamping adventure under the stars
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
You could consider:
- a trip to the moon (well, we can wish)
- or moon like landscapes on earth - e.g. Kīlauea in Hawaii, Cinder Lake, Greenland, the Atacama Desert in Chile, Iceland (but a little bit more like Mars)...
- Moon named locations around the World - e.g. Craters of the Moon, Idaho / Craters of the moon in New Zealand, moon mountain wide region in US