Planning a butterfly themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- butterfly themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- butterfly themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable butterfly wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Venue and colors
Special venue ideas
You can have a butterfly themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
However, you can consider venues that fit best with your theme, such as:
- All outdoor venues can be
- A zoo or park that has a butterfly house
- a garden with lots of flowers
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- white background, iridescent color and black
- For the iridescent color you can pick turquoise, blue or pink or red or purple
- accents of gold and silver can complement the color
- But you can also go with some greenery
- For the background color, you can also choose some natural colors and texture (linen...)
Butterfly themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the butterfly theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
Butterflies of course
They can be obvious or stylized
You can also include flowers
- The font -
An elegant calligraphy font with roundness to go with the soft lines of the butterflies
No font too strict with straight lines.
- The shape -
You could do a butterfly shaped invitation, but that might feel over the top.
I think the best design are rectangle with beautiful decors on it
- Special words theme related words -
You can include fun sentences such as:
Come see us spread our wings
Nectar degustation to follow
Here are some inspiring examples.
Most have complete suites of butterfly themed wedding stationery.
Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options with your picture.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Or for something a little less obvious, have a look at this design:
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitation
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitation
- Rehearsal dinner invitation
Other fun elements
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer, flower girl...
Butterfly wedding decors
Butterfly themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize, or make yourself.
- Create a low centerpiece with greenery and place 3D butterflies on top
- Set up branches and place butterflies on them
- Spread butterfly confetti on the table and set up strings of fairylights to make them sparkle
- Choose a tall vase with flowers and place 3D butterfly on them
- Add candles (see next section)
Candles & holders
You can also add candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with butterfly theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you surrounded by butterflies, and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
And if you don't want to risk of fire, but do want the ambiance, consider some flameless candles:
Other table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins with butterfly designs or effect
- Name card holders on butterfly cut-out paper
- Table numbers or names with beautiful butterfly design on inside a butterfly fame
- butterfly straw toppers
Other decor elements
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of butterfly decors such as:
- wall decors or decals
- branches display on which you can place 3D butterflies
- round paper lanterns with butterflies glued on them
- butterfly garlands, or single string butterflies hanging from the roof
And consider adding a backdrops to a wall, that an also be a place for cool pictures of the guest:
All kinds of flowers go well with butterflies.
It depends on the main colors you chose.
- Lavender is a popular choice, but know that many people are allergic to lavender
- Roses are elegant
- or simply greenery if you don't want the flower to upstage the butterflies in your decor
Ceremony and clothes
Officiant & program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun with the officiant and the ceremony program.
Here are some ideas:
- if you are really really into it and want people to smile, you could ask the officiant to wear wings...
- Otherwise, things can remain classic and elegant
- The wedding arch can have a few butterflies placed on it
- Create wedding programs in the same theme as your stationery
- If it takes place on a hot summer day, why not print you wedding programs on hand fans!
Butterfly theme vows - fun ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some butterfly related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- you are my favorite flower, I will always come home to you
- like a butterfly, you cannot see your wings, you cannot see how beautiful you are. But I can. You are extraordinary.
- “’Just living isn’t enough,’ said the butterfly, ‘one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.’” — Hans Christian Anderson - and you are my flower
- You have opened your heart and mind to me like the wings of a butterfly (inspired by Peta Kelly quote)
- Get inspiration with butterfly quotes
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme but about you. Wear what makes you happy!
There is no specific rule for a butterfly themed wedding.
However butterflies are elegant, swirly and with soft lines.
So you want a dress that is soft, looks simple but has intricate details.
For the bridesmaid you can choose simple flowy dresses with the color you have chosen as your accent.
Or you can pink a green to represent the surrounding nature.
Groom and Groomsmen
A simple suit will do well, with a bow-tie, of course...
Or you can choose for a natural look with a beige linen suit.
But to represent to freedom of a butterfly, you can also choose for a lighter version with just the shirt and suspenders.
You can keep the clothes simple so that everyone feels comfortable and beautiful, but go a little wilder with accessories.
For the women, consider:
- Butterfly hair clips
- Flower / nature hair pieces or hair bands
- butterfly jewelry
For the men, consider:
- Butterfly tie clip
- Butterfly boutonniere
- Butterfly socks - for a wink that is not too visible
- a simple 2 tones rose bouquet would work well
- for a more boho wedding, choose a wild flower bouquet with a small cascade
- Or avoid flowers and create your own butterfly bouquet (see example)
- But anything can be elegant with a beautiful white dress
No special suggestions for the ring itself.
But for the ring bearer to carry the rings, you can have fun:
Fun butterfly themed wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- In a field of flowers
- Surrounded by butterflies if you have a butterfly house (but remember they there is high humidity in those).
- LED wings
- The couples laying on the grass and the wedding party set up around like wings
- completely crazy wearing butterfly wings
Butterfly wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
Not specific mode of transportation comes to mind.
But you can decorate the car with butterfly decals!
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for butterfly themed seating charts:
- Name the tables after the name of some butterflies (e.g. the Monarch butterfly, the Zebra butterfly, the peacock butterfly, the Elizabethan butterfly, the Lithium butterfly.... learn more)
- Name the tables after the butterfly favorite flowers (marigold, salvia, sunflower, buttonbush, cornflower, clove pink... learn more)
- decorate the wedding chart with butterfly designs
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and Butterfly cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes. They work very well with just a few themed decors::
- a few butterfly related decors such as butterfly themselves, of flowers..
- a fun cake toppers with bride and groom!
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or butterfly themed designs
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming:
- Cake in the shape of a butterfly - wings open or wings closed
- Flower bush looking cake where 2 butterflies come foraging
Food / Menu
No specific suggestions in terms of food.
The menu can be printed on beautiful themed stationery:
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
- “Love is like a butterfly: It goes where it pleases, and it pleases wherever it goes.”
- Be like a butterfly. Grow, evolve and transform.
- A butterfly climbs out of its chrysalis. - And says, “Oh my god, I’m turning into my mother!” -
- Don't worry, tonight is not a moth ball
- “Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life" Jeffrey Glassberg - it is like he was talking about your two!
- Get inspiration with butterfly quotes
- Or get inspired by this article with butter jokes and puns here or here
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
- Butterfly paper cards or wooden cards where guest can write their messages
- Then they can place them in a vase of hang them on a cord with clothespins
Paper cut-outs or wood cut-outs - bring several colors of pens - attach to a garland or place in a glass vase
Activities - Entertainment - Music
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around butterflies
- Themed photo booth with butterfly wings and the backdrop I listed earlier
- Henna station to get temporary butterfly tattoos
- Get one or several boards (chalk or white) to create butterfly related word search games
- Find the butterfly bingo - where each box on the card includes a type of butterfly they can find on the decors (with a broken wind, with a red dot on it...)
- Get bliss advice from guests - leave a card at their seating place for them to write pieces of advice
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Favors for Butterfly wedding theme
Butterfly themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your butterfly theme or at least decorated with your themed designs or pictures.
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- a butterfly scavenger hunt, where butterfly stickers have been left at specific places
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
You could consider:
- Visit the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe (French island) - its looks like a butterfly - see tips
- Iguazu National park at the border of Brazil and Argentina is a great place for Butterfly spotting
- The National Butterfly Center in Mission, USA
- The Monarch Butterfly grove in California
- Nepal is also famous for its variety of butterflies