Planning an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- themed wedding invitations,
- decors and centerpieces,
- Alice in Wonderland themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable Alice in Wonderland wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Venue and decors
Special venue ideas
You can have an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding anywhere. It is all in the decor.
However, you can consider venues that fit best with your theme, such as:
- a garden - if you have a good chance of nice weather, this is your most appropriate option
- a greenhouse or winter garden venue - if you are getting married in a state with uncertain weather patterns
- and if you can find a garden that has a maze, bingo!
- another idea for the ceremony is at a lifesize chess board in a playground or park
- you can also choose a forest
However, any venue can be made magical which whimsical decor and accessories.
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- Blue and white, for Alice's dress
- Red and white, for the roses and the Queen
- Black and white with a touch of gold, for the chessboard and the book illustrations
- all pastel colors would look nice with this theme
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Alice in Wonderland themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the Alice in Wonderland theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
There is no lack of drawings that can remind of Alice in Wonderland
A white rabbit, the Queen of Hearts, mushrooms, pocket watch, playing cards, teapot, tea cups, ornate keys, hat, small bottle...
- The font -
You will want ancient looking font and Fantasy looking fonts.
Lots of ornamentation and calligraphy
- The shape -
Rectangular, like a playing card
Circular, like a pocket watch
Square, for a checker board
- Special Alice in Wonderland theme related words -
Don't be late
Join us down the rabbit hole
Follow the white rabbit
You can opt for original options.
Here are some fun examples. Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options; with a simple drawing related to Alice in Wonderland or with a picture of you.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitation
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitation
- Rehearsal dinner invitation
Other fun elements
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer...
Here are some examples:
Alice in Wonderland wedding decors
Decors will depends on which vibe you want:
Most people want the whimsical part of Alice in Wonderland, so most decor ideas below will speak to that.
Alice in Wonderland themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- Stack of tea cups, saucers and teapots
- Flower arrangement inside a teapot
- Structure with playing cards
- Scattering of playing cards, petals and golden keys
- Stack of old looking book with vintage looking pocket watch
- Big mushrooms
- Crazy direction signs to name the tables
- Moss with sprinkled flowers
- Candles (see next section)
You can also add candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with Alice in Wonderland theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you in a whimsical decor and your wedding date
- Candles with themed designs
Other table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins - e.g. checkerboard, favorite quote from the book
- Name card holder
- Table number as playing cards
- Wine bottle labels
- Keys with place cards
Other decor elements
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of Alice in Wonderland decor such as:
- Old books
- Big mirrors
- a wedding arch with moss, roses, bush
- Signpost with crazy arrows to direct the guests
- Giant chairs
- Beautiful benches with moss, mushrooms and flowers
- Chess sets
- Fairytale lights
- Moss and flowers on the walls and hanging from the ceiling
Lots of greenery for your wedding flower arragnements.
Leaves, moss, grass...
You can also opt for white and red roses.
Favors for Alice in Wonderland wedding theme
Alice in Wonderland themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your Alice in Wonderland designs or pictures.
- Eat me and drink me gifts with special labels and tags (chocolate, small rum bottles...)
- Bottle opener keys
- Candy boxes
- Mushroom cookies
- Chocolate playing cards
- Deck of Vintage looking playing cards
- Assortments of teas or a special teaspoon in a heart shape
- A copy of the book Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
Officiant and Ceremony program
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun.
Here are some ideas for the officiant:
- A personage from the story: rabbit, mad hatter, Queen of hearts
- Reading from giant playing card
- Reading from the "Oraculum" scroll
And you can keep the theme with the ceremony program:
Alice in Wonderland theme vows - fun ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some Alice in Wonderland related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- It does not matter which way I go, as long as I get somewhere and go with you
- I am excited to entangle with Great Puzzle of life with you
- you are mad, but the best people usually are.
- Insert quote from the book - see quotes
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme but about you.
However, you can draw inspiration from the story with:
- a blue wedding gown with tulle
- having the bridesmaid wear blue, maybe with a bow
- having the flower girl as Alice or as the rabbit
- Black and white for the men
You can have a lot of fun with accessories both for the groom, groomsmen, bride and bridesmaids.
- Pocket watches
- top hat with playing card
- small hat pieces
- red or white roses
- nature inspired hair accessories
My suggestions are :
- Classic - with red and white roses
- Paper flowers with old looking paper
- Orb of moss with flower decorations
- Add a bow
No special suggestions for the rings.
However, you can bring them on:
- a personalized pillow for your wedding
- placed on decorative chess pieces
Fun Alice in Wonderland wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- Surrounded by arrows pointing in many directions
- At a tea party
- In nature surrounded by mushrooms and playing card
- Looking into a mirror
- with rabbits or rabbit decor
Alice in Wonderland themed wedding ideas for the party
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for Alice in Wonderland themed seating charts:
- Name the tables after locations in the book and use funny arrows to identify them
- Use playing card as table numbers and give your guests the corresponding cards
- Identify tables with character's names
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and Alice in Wonderland cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes but with:
- a few Alice in Wonderland related decors
- "Eat me" cake topper
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or Alice in Wonderland themed designs
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming:
- A rectangular cake with intricate drawings making it look like a playing card
- Cakes stacks like a top hat - off-center
- Cakes stacked like tea cups not straight
- A giant white bow
- A collection of tarts, as they are present in the wedding
You can also have fun with the food or with the surroundings of the meals
- Attach ‘eat me’ and ‘drink me’ labels to everything.
- have a tea bar
- Enjoy a chocolate fountain
- Do an afternoon tea instead of a cocktail party
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
- At least they were not late (if they are usually)
- Don't get mad!
- Curiouser and curiouser
- Or get inspired by this article with Alice jokes and puns
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative:
- create a guest book with an Alice in Wonderland cover
- have people write on playing cards and throw them in a top hat
- Have people write on scrolls and make their own Oraculum - have a wooden chest for them to place them
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around Alice in Wonderland
- A modified version of him and her - where the paddles say 'mad' and 'sane' - someone describes a situation and each partner choose the reaction he/she expects from the other
- Create a photoshoot area with a crazy tea party decor
- Create a photoshoot area with an Alice in Wonderland backdrops
- Create a photoshoot area with giant chess pieces
- Set up a croquet game
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Or you can ask for a few gifts specific to your passion / theme:
- High end teas
- Older copies of Alice in Wonderland
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- Tea parties
- Mad scavenger hunts
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
However, at this point I don't have specific ideas to suggest. Sorry.
Check out other fairytale and literature wedding themes:
- Beauty and the Beast - see ideas
- Cinderella - see ideas
- See all culture wedding themes