Planning a pirate themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- pirate themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- pirate themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable pirate wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Venue and colors
With the movies Pirates of the Caribbean, the pirate theme has become one of the most popular ideas for weddings and parties.
Special venue ideas
You can of course, have a Pirate themed wedding anywhere.
However, you can consider more original venues, and go all the way at least for the ceremony or the party, such as:
- a ship
That will set the mood right away!
There are historic ships available for rental, such as the Balclutha, a historical park in California
- the maritime museum in San Diego
- beaches - sand, treasure chest and mood lightning - pirates would often prowl the rock coastlines and sandy shores. This is a great place to create a pirate themed wedding.
- Treasure island in Las Vegas - there are many pirate wedding packages available.
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
- All white with a splash of color
- All black with a splash of color
- Black with some silver or gold
- Old parchment and red
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Pirate wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the pirate theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
There is a large choice of options here: an old ship, swords, skulls, old treasure maps, treasure chests, anchors...
The imagery does not lack in terms of pirates
- The font -
There is a large choice of fonts that work well with pirated themed stationery.
Those handwritten fonts have a lot of embellishements with extra lines and swirls.
Texas hero, relates to 19th century handwriting
Bonnycastle looks very historical
Pirate -vintage style font by Jumbodesign
- The shape -
You could create a scroll invitation, but it is not easy to send.
Or you could choose a classic shape but make it look like old paper.
- Special pirate theme related words -
Avast (Pay attention)
You can opt for original options.
Here are some fun examples. Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options; with a simple drawing related to Pirates and ships or with a picture of you dressed as pirates.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitation
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitation
- Rehearsal dinner invitation
Other fun elements
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker, or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer...
Here are some examples:
Pirate themed wedding ideas for decors
Pirate themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- Treasure chest with stones, fake coins, pearls, small bottles and florals
- Net or ropes with shells and coins for something simpler and less overwhelming
- A skull with flowers or other decors
- Black rose in glass surrounding by gold elements
- Candles (see next section)
You can also add candles to add to the ambiance.
You can consider 3 types of candles to decorate your wedding:
- Candles with pirate theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you dressed as pirates, and your wedding date
- Simple candles just for lighting and mood
Other table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessory when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Napkins with pirate theme decor or a treasure map
- Skulls as name card holder
- Wine bottle labels with pirate drawings
- Special coaster that guests can take away with them afterwards
Other decor elements
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of Pirate decor such as:
- treasure maps
- wooden chest
For the flowers, you should keep decors tights.
Compositions should not include too many types of flowers and not many variations in height.
Dark colors like black, dark red or dark purple work well.
Candles are best to increase the mood of a pirate wedding.
If you don't want the fire hazard, you can opt for fake ones.
And you can also consider old looking lanterns.
And choose yellow artificial lights, not white. At their period, light was rather yellow.
Favors for pirate wedding theme
Pirate themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your pirate theme or at least decorated with your pirate designs or pictures.
- mini rum bottles
- old looking key (but useful as bottle openers)
- pirate themed candy boxes
- chocolate coins in gold foil
- mini treasure chest
- Eye patches
With this theme, it is really easy to have fun!
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples with traditional boxes.
But, for something more original, you could also fill a bottle with small favors!
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun:
- Have the officiant read the service from a scroll
- Officiant a Jack Sparrow
Pirate theme vows - fun ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some Pirate related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- to weather the storms as long as we shall call yourselves Pirates
- in front of our crew
- be willing to sail together until one or both of us sink with the ship
- follow our stars to find the right path for us
- I promise to love you when there is no wind and when the wind threaten to sink us
- This ring from our treasure chest
- Jump over sword, to symbolize cutting past ties and moving forward together
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme but about you.
However, if you want to go all the way with the pirate them, you can:
- Rent or buy Pirate costumes in specialty costume shops or at the local renaissance fair - check ideas here
- Get inspired by clothes from Pirates of the Caribbean
- Women pirate costumes normally have shoulders exposed
- Wear medieval dress
- Consider floral dress with a corset and belts
And the entire wedding party can have fun dressing up with more or less details
One of the main details for a pirate gown is the hat, especially a tricorn hat.
But you can also add boots, fishing nets, jewelry, sword, dagger...
For the bouquet, you should keep the composition small and simple.
It should not include too many types of flowers and not many variations in height.
Dark colors like black, dark red or dark purple work well.
It can incorporate shells, sea urchins, corals, pearls and rhinestones.
No special suggestion for the rings themselves. You have to be able to wear them, so maybe tone down the theme.
However, instead of them being presented on a pillow, they could be in a treasure chest!
Fun pirate wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- Use ropes
- Make a guard of honor with swords
- Opening a treasure chest full of gold (chocolate coins that all the guests can enjoy later)
Pirate wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
You can consider:
- Adding a sail
- adding a pirate flag to the car
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for pirate themed seating charts:
- Name the table after famous pirates or famous ships
- Instead of table numbers, have crew numbers
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart - forget the decor behind, they can fit well with a pirate decor.
Cake shapes and pirate cake toppers
Option 1 - Traditional cake with decor
You can have traditional cakes but with:
- a few pirate-related decors such as skulls, mini swords, pirate flags, fake jewels...
- a fun cake toppers with bride and groom as pirates!
- 2 skulls as toppers
- a ship topper
- or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or pirate themed designs
Option 2 - Theme-shaped cake
You can have a cake in a fun shape but with a much simpler topper so that it is not overwhelming. For example:
- a rectangular shape, but with a detailed vintage map drawn on it
- a treasure chest cake with coins and jewels coming out of it
- cupcakes with edible gold coins
- a ship shaped cake
No very specific food suggestion. But consider:
- exotic fruits
- Ship carved in pumpkin or watermelon
If you are a bridesmaid, groomsman, or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech makes people say ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes or themed sentences you could include:
- add noises with arrrr to speak like a pirate
- I wish for you to stand on the deck looking at the horizon forever
- from the moment they met, they were hooked
- if you get mad for what the other said, blame it in the parrot
- Or get inspired by this article with pirate jokes and puns
And the cake can be cut by the pirate couple with a sword!
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative, such as:
- messages in a bottle - have small sheets of old paper that guests write on and then roll and place in a bottle
- have a large anchor made of wood on which guest can write
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples;
- A trivia challenge around pirates or specific to the movies "Pirates of the Caribbean"
- a tattoo station with henna
- a fake battle between groomsmen and bridesmaids
- A modified version of him and her (asking questions who is most...) - where questions turn around piracy (who would lose a hand first, who would eat... who would understand the treasure map first...)
And you can also have a lot of fun with the activities for the kids!
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Or you can ask for a few gifts specific to your passion / theme:
- a private island (lol - wouldn't that be great)
- a fishing boat
- sword fighting classes
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- Scavenger hunt
- Original spa treatments with funny name to be as if for a pirate girl
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
For pirate you can select a cruise or visit an island.
There are places where you can enjoy a tour on pirate ships such as:
- Cozumel - Mexican island - see pirate experience
- Madeira - Portuguese island - see boat tour and see all the best things to do
- Mallorca - Spanish island - see dinner show and see the best things to do in Mallorca
- Cancun - Mexico - see pirate shows
- Hilton Head island - South Carolina - see Pirate cruise
- Kos - Greek island - see 3 island tour
- Alanya - Turkey - see magnificent pirate boat tour
- Bali - indonesia island - see pirate dinner cruise