Planning a Parisian themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- Paris themed wedding invitations,
- colors, decors and centerpieces,
- Parisian themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable Parisian wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
What is a Parisian themed wedding?
The truth is that it can be a lot of thing.
Parisian themed weddings can have various versions:
- an obvious Paris theme decor and organization with Eiffel towers repeated many times, macarons, french wine... every items that can remind you of Paris.
- a subtle version with only Parisian feel and style which means soft, luxurious yet simple, elegant - Understated beauty
- a vintage version with old bicycle, basket...,
- a City of lights version,
- a Renaissance version (with chandeliers, golden mirrors...)
It can be whatever your favorite version of Paris is.
Choose what makes you happy, not what you think will impress people most!
Venue and decors
Special venue ideas
I know you dream may be to have the wedding in Paris, with pictures in front of the Eiffel tower and on a stunning balcony overlooking the city.
But flying everyone to Paris may not be the best option.
You can of course, have a Paris themed wedding anywhere.
However, you can consider more original venues, at least for the ceremony or the pary, such as:
- an historic estate,
- a chateau-inspired location,
- a beautiful French-style garden.
One of the first decision to make it the color scheme since stationery, flowers, decors and all will be relating to that decision.
If you don't have any ideas, I recommend you look at invitations in the next section and see what appeals to you most.
Otherwise consider that:
- Most Parisian and French-themed wedding color schemes are with pastel tones, such as blush or powder blue.
- For a vintage version, gold and light vintage pink are often use (e.g. champagne and rosé champagne)
- Metallic gold or silver accents are frequent
- Some give can give you a more modern edge.
- The official colors of Paris - Royal blue (symbolizing nobility) and red (for the bloodshed by martyrs)
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Paris themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the Parisian theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Soft and romantic are often the 2 words associated with a Paris themed wedding.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The drawings or pictures -
The most used designs in stationery for a Paris theme wedding is of course the Eiffel Tower. Since it is so iconic, people understand the them right away.
However you could also go for the silhouette the Arc the Triomphe, the Notre Dame Cathedral or the Montmartre Sacré Coeur.
Horizontal stripes can also remind of France
- The font -
You can use elegant calligraphy font.
But there are also fonts called Parisian with straight lines and changes in thickness - see
- The shape -
You can use traditional rectangle cards.
Or the bracket shaped card, is only in alignment with the theme - see shape
You can also make some of the stationery look like a postcards or plane tickets.
- Special Paris theme related words -
Oh la la
Wedding in French is "Marriage"
Love in French is "Amour"
Yes in French is "Oui"
- For a more subtle Parisian theme - remove the Eiffel Tower and the special words, focus on calligraphy, soft and simple. Think like Channel. Always remove one accessory / element at the end.
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options; with a simple drawing related to Paris or with a picture of you two. The French elegance...
Here are some beautiful examples. Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Or you can go for vintage options:
Or you can opt for original options with fake glitter or watercolors.
Here are some fun examples.:
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitation
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitation
- Rehearsal dinner invitation
Other fun elements
The details can also be important.
When the person received the invitation, seeing a special themed sticker or a wax sealed at the back of the envelope can already trigger excitement!
Here are some examples:
Other fun formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen, bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour, ring bearer...
Here are some examples:
- Pop the question (like champagne)
- Wine label to ask to be a best man
Parisian wedding decors
Paris themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
They don't have to be flowers.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- Light flower arrangements inside a wide-mouthed vase or antiques
- European-styled antique lanterns with candles or flowers inside - for a romantic feel
- Simple cherry blossom branches (Paris in Spring)
- Small candle under a miniature Eiffel Tower
- Candles with Paris theme drawings, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you playing in Paris, and your wedding date
- Vintage petals
- Paris snowglobe
Paris being the city of light and romance, candles are a must have...
You can personalize it or juyst choose candles with a Paris decor
See price and availability
See price and availability
Other table decor elements
The rest of the elements on the table can also be chosen around your theme.
But don't go overboard.
Always remember to remove one accessories when you are finished.
Consider choosing themed:
- Name card holder
- Wine bottle labels
- Golden holder for the menus
Other decor elements
The table is not the only place where you can have fun with the decor.
All around the events, you can include small touches of Parisian decor such as:
- twinkle lights, since Paris is the city of lights
- Other illuminated items
- Bicycle with basket - a typical Paris street scene
The Fleur-de-lis (or Fleur-de-lys) is the symbol of France. It is a stylized iris.
Iris is a beautiful flower with ranges of colors that could help make your flower arrangement stunning.
Also Paris in Spring also has cherry blossoms. Branches of those can look very elegant and in the right colors.
No specific suggestions in terms of lighting.
If you go with a Renaissance version, you can consider crystal chandeliers.
Some may be rented.
Favors for Paris wedding theme
Parisian themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your xx theme or at least decorated with your xx designs or pictures.
See price and availability
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Favor boxes and tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
Here are some examples:
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun:
- Someone with a strong French accent
- A friend dressed as a French King
Paris theme vows - fun ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some Paris / French related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- The French for I love your is "Je t'aime"
- Like Paris, the city of lights, I will sparkle every day as I see how much I love you
- I will go with you to the Top of the Eiffel tower and deep down in the Parisian Metro
- "I want our life together to be as passionate as a Delacroix, as romantic as a Monet, as lively as a Renoir and as vibrant as a Matisse" - by mythemedwedding.com but you authorize you to use it in your vows
- I will love you as much as I love Paris fashion
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme but about you.
Things you can consider:
- delicate lace elements is very French
- Large ballroom gown and practical short dresses all work for a Parisian themed wedding, as long a it is stylish
- Grooms often wear a taxedo with a crisp white shirt and a black blow
- Bridesmaid can wear long simple dress with soft colors matching the event - little lace elements can make the dress more elegant. But it should remain simple so that the star of the show is the bride's dress.
Most Parisian women chose simplistic, natural makeup.
It should highlight your best features with a natural way but not change your face.
Let's remind you one more time about Coco Channel's famous advice:
Wear all the accessories you had planned, and just before leaving the house, remove one.
A french look is supposed to look effortless.
It should not be perfect. Always slightly off perfection which gives the charm, the "Je ne sais quoi".
You can consider:
- a low ponytail with a branch of flowers across it and a silk ribbon
- stunning shoes
- a chic birdcage veil
- simple elegant bejeweled hairpieces
White and soft pink make for a classic Parisian bouquet.
You can also stay classic with white roses so as not to overpower your dress.
No special suggestions here.
Fun Paris wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- Create a Paris backdrop area where pictures can be taken
- Find a vintage carousel and take pictures around and on it.
- Take fun pictures with a vintage bicycle, with a basket and flowers or baguette inside
- Do an Amélie Poulain photo-booth style shoot
Parisian wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
You can consider:
- rent a vintage car to travel in style
- a Citroën 2CV - even in France, it can be a popular choice for French brides and grooms
- If you are going renaissance, you could choose a carriage with horses
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some ideas for Parisian themed seating charts:
- Create long banquet tables as if dining in the Versailles Castle
- Decorate your sitting charts with Paris elements
- Name the tables after famous monuments in Paris (Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre-Dame, Le Louvres, Sacré-Coeur, Sainte-Chapelle...
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes and Parisian cake toppers
With your cake you can either go with French pastry style cake, Paris shape cakes or classic cakes with Paris toppers.
For the cake shapes or toppers consider:
- few Paris related decors (Eiffel towers, French flag...) next to a classic couple topper
- cake in a fun shape e.g. Eiffel Tower or with vintage map of Paris on it
- And you can find fun cake toppers with bride and groom photo in Paris!
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or Paris themed designs
Otherwise you can go for French pastries:
- The most commonly used are the macarons - you can have fun with shapes and colors. This is really ideal to decorate around a wedding cake.
- In French wedding, a classic is also a "Pièce Montée" - a beautiful shape made with Croquembouche (choux in French) and Nougatine. It is sweet, beautiful and fun - see example
- You can choose a French baker to create a French style cake for your wedding.
- And you can decorate around a traditional cake with small version of classic pastries: madeleines, financiers, meringues, mille-feuilles...
Well, with a destination wedding, there is no shortage of food ideas...
Especially with a country like France.
Main ideas to consider are:
- French wine
- French Champagne with the cake
- A cart of cheeses
- Canapés (small amuse-bouche)
- Choice of breads - or various bread adapted to each dish
If you want to use French words in your menu, they are:
- "Entrée" for starter
- "Plat" for the main dish
- "Fromages" for cheeses
- "Dessert" for dessert
If you are bridesmaid, groomsman or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech make people says ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
- Thanks for opening my vision of France which was limited to the Eiffel tower, the baguette and the Moulin-Rouge
- Do you love Paris? I Pompidou.
- Eiffel hard for this city.
- The city of love has your heart.
- Pardon my French.
- Baguette in this wedding
- They don't give a Notre-Dame. They just love each other.
- Or get inspired by this article with Paris jokes and puns - see some here
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
Here I suggest a love lock grid:
A classic in Paris, the city of romance, is for couples to engrave their names on padlocks and attached it, originally on Pont Des Arts, and now in many other places.
You can have love locks ready with tags on which guests can write their message before locking it on a grid you installed somewhere.
Activities during the party
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples;
- Have people write on a special guest book such as Love Locks - see details below
- A trivia challenge around Paris monuments
- A modified version of him and her (asking questions who is most...) - where the paddles have elle / lui
- Wine tasting
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Or you can ask for a few gifts specific to your passion / theme:
- A trip to Paris
- Wine bottles
- French cooking classes
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider it.
Even without a Parisian themed wedding, many bridal showers have a paris theme.
All the parties can include:
- wine tasting,
- perfume making,
- fashion show,
- Paris photo with unique background
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
So the inevitable here, is a trip to Paris and France!