Planning a hockey themed wedding? Fantastic!
I want to help you infuse passion into your special day.
To make your research easier, I have gathered and created over 100 ideas (from details to big decisions) covering:
- hockey themed wedding invitations,
- decors and centerpieces,
- hockey themed favors,
- ceremony and clothes,
- party details, cake toppers,
- and much more!
All you need to create an unforgettable hockey wedding!
This article contains affiliate Links (see Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Careful: I list a lot of ideas, but don't go overboard with your theme!
Hockey themed wedding invitations
The invitations and the stationery are some of the most important ways to convey the hockey theme of your wedding and how special it will be.
Design Elements to take into consideration to be in accordance with your theme are:
- The color scheme -
for example the colors of your favorite team,
otherwise blue and red like the ice lines colors work well,
And for something more discreet, you can stay around blue ice colors.
- The drawings or pictures -
Skates, hockey players, puck, sticks
- The font -
e.g. scoreboard font
- The shape -
It can look like a game ticket, like a scoreboard, like an ice rink or like a puck.
- Special hockey theme related words -
scoring, going for a goal, faceoff...
You can opt for original options.
Here are some fun examples. Once opened, click on personalize to add your wedding's information :
Or you can opt for themed but classic stationery options; with a simple drawing related to hockey or with a picture of you on the ice.
Here are some beautiful examples :
Don't forget to consider, as applicable, the:
- Save the date
- Wedding invitation
- RSVP cards
- Bridal shower invitation
- Rehearsal dinner invitation
Other fun formal invitations
You can also have fun in relation to your proposal to be groomsmen and bridesmaid.
Here are some examples:
Hockey wedding decors
Special venues ideas
You can of course, have a hockey themed wedding anywhere.
However, you can consider more original venues, at least for the ceremony, such as:
- an ice rink - you can use carpet to have the non skater on the ice too
- a frozen lake
- a backyard with a synthetic ice rink
For the decor, some team or ice rink colors may be harsher than on the invitation.
You could pick just one of the colors of your favorite team.
And for something more discreet, you can stay around blue ice colors.
Hockey themed centerpieces ideas
It is with centerpieces that you can have a lot of fun around your theme.
I have tried to collect ideas that you can order, personalize or make yourself.
- A puck with your names and the date of your wedding
- A puck with a picture of you and the date of your wedding
- Recycled puck that you decorate
- A decoration with a round or square base and fake small sticks crossing above it and a puck - see example
- Candles with hockey theme decors, and your wedding date
- Candles with a picture of you playing hockey or watching a hockey game, and your wedding date
- You can purchase hockey related objects that are used for birthday parties and elevate them to create a wedding worth centerpiece
- Flower arrangement inside an old hockey skate, holding straight thanks to a cut in a puck - see example
- Flower arrangement inside a hockey helmet
Candle with hockey shapes to be published
Other useful hockey decor elements to have fun with:
No specific suggestions in terms of flowers.
No specific suggestions in terms of lighting.
Favors for hockey wedding theme
Hockey themed favors
It can be really fun to create favors that are products related to your hockey theme or at least decorated with your hockey designs or pictures.
It is not easy to find hockey decorated favors that are not for children's party.
But here are a few:
Classic personalized favors
Or you can opt for the more traditional favors but that you personalize around the theme or just with pictures of you and the date of the wedding.
- match box (the perfect match)
- photo block
- hand sanitizer (spread love not germs)
- candy box
- mint box (mint to be)
- liquor bottle
- chocolate bar
Bridesmaids and Groomsmen gift ideas
For your bridesmaids and groomsmen, you can go a little more crazy and have fun within the theme. For example:
- Season tickets to watch the games with you
- Whiskey chill pucks
- Hockey theme cufflinks
Favor Boxes and Tags
Once again, you can personalize with a picture of your (themed or not) and find a box with decors related to your theme.
If you are not going the traditional religious route, you can have fun:
- have a hockey referee as the officiant
- have a friend dressed as a referee
- the mascot of your favorite team
Hockey theme vows - fun ideas
If you are writing your own vows, you can include some hockey related words or sentences, to make the audience smile and your partner swoon.
Here are some ideas:
- Promise to love when your team wins or loses
- In sickness and in health, and during -- the major event you prefer --
- I promise to be both your right and left defenser, protecting our house
- Our wedding will be a barnburner
- I promise not to keep scores
Dress and clothes
Choose the dress you really want. This should not be about the theme, but about you.
However, you can consider:
- Adding your team logo or your player number, discreetly
- Dress your bridesmaids in your favorite team colors
- Have your team jersey ready to wear over your wedding clothes for a few pictures
You can have fun with your them in regards to hair accessory.
This is much easier than trying to make a related dress.
- Mini hockey sticks crossing in your hair-do
- Use hockey decorated hair ties
- Create a bun that looks like a puck
But most important, have your hair the way you want them. No need to go overboard!
If you are really obsessed with hockey, you may want to also have your forever ring to have hockey engravings (see example of titanium with engravings, or Tungsten with laser engravings)
Fun hockey wedding photo ideas
Now, it's time to take pictures of the couple and the wedding party.
You will, of course, start with the classic pictures, but then you can also have fun.
Here are some ideas:
- The couple walking under a "guard of honor" with the women and men on each side holding sticks to cross above their head
- The entire party wearing the jersey for your favorite team
- The couple in a faceoff with sticks and the officiant behind
- The wedding party cheering with the hockey sticks high above
Hockey wedding ideas for the party
Transportation between the events or just for the last 500 yards can be related to your theme. You can make a grand entrance!
You can consider:
- a Zamboni
- a hockey team bus
- on your skates (if the ceremony is on the ice)
Creating a fun seating chart is one of the easiest way to include your theme in your wedding.
Here are some example of hockey themed seating charts:
- if the tables are round, you can draw them to resemble pucks - see example
- or you can name each table around NHL teams with the "roster" - see example
- or you can have each table representing a player in the team and the name on the jerseys - see example
Or you can keep a traditional-looking seating chart:
Cake shapes & Hockey cake toppers
With the cake, you can also have a lot of fun around your theme:
- you can have traditional cakes but with a few hockey related decors (skates, sticks...)
- you can have a cake in a fun shape e.g. an ice rink, a puck, the Stanley Cup...
- And you can find fun cake toppers with bride and groom playing hockey!
- Or you can personalize a traditional cake topper with your photo, names or hockey themed designs
No specific suggestions in terms of food.
If you are bridesmaid, groomsman or a parent of the happy couple, you may have to give a speech.
A great wedding speech make people says ohhhhhh and laugh.
The ohhhh part will come from personal stories about the couple.
But to make the audience laugh, the theme can be very useful.
Here are some jokes you could include:
- she knew he was a keeper - as he was wearing massive gloves
- she promises to love him with and without teeth
- I always told him/her that he/she should marry a dentist
- As a xxx fan, Name is well equipped for marriage. He / she can stay through the highs, the lows, the sloppy starts and the disappointing finishes. He/she can see plenty of hot young prospects passing through while remaining loyal.
- Bob o'Connor said "To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. To love the game is greatest of all." - well I would like to modify his words: "To win your partner's trust is great. To play the long game with your partner is greater. To love your partner is the greatest of all".
- Well, marriage is like hockey - as Jim McKenny said "Half the game is mental, the other half is being mental"
- Or get inspired by this article with hockey jokes and puns or this one
Don't forget to have a guest book for people to write you special message you will enjoy reading and re-reading later in life.
You can go with a traditional guest book or you can imagine something more unique and creative.
Or, to keep with the theme, you can have people write on a special guest book such as a hockey jersey - see example
And finally, to keep everyone entertain, you can plan for fun activities during the wedding.
Not all of them have to be related to your theme, but a few could be.
Here are some examples:
- A trivia challenge around hockey
- If it is outside, you can play with a saucer kit or have a net and create challenges
- If you have synthetic ice, you can enjoy a friendly game
- A modified version of him and her (asking questions who is most...) - where it is her team and his team
Registry / wedding gift ideas
A registry is a curated list of gifts that a couple creates to make the wedding gift experience easier and more guided for their guests.
It is rarely related to the wedding theme and is more focused on building a home together.
You can create a traditional registry, including:
- entertaining furniture or tools (bar cart, wine decanter...)
- home decor
- garden and outdoor cooking supply
These can be created at:
- traditional shops
- on Amazon - see their Wedding registry system (which allows you to list from everything on the store!)
- online registries with cash options
- honeymoon registries
Don't forget to select products with various price points.
Or you can register for cash.
Or you can ask for a few gifts specific to your passion / theme:
- Season tickets
- Special trip to go ice skating in iconic places
- Special trip to see the final of the Stanley Cup
Other wedding events
Bridal showers and Bachelor Parties
The showers and parties don't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to carry out the theme, you could consider:
- a hockey game
- a hockey bar
- go skating
The rehearsal dinner doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But if you want to apply for it as well, you can use all the ideas already listed in this article.
Once again, the honeymoon doesn't have to be related to your theme.
But you can keep enjoying your passion.
You could consider:
- Traveling to Canada in Winter to enjoy frozen lakes
- Doing a big trip in a city around an important hockey game
- Visit Nova Scotia and follow the history of ice hockey - include The Birthplace of Hockey Museum